Saturday, August 21, 2010

MY HOME IS NOT MY HOME

Back in Amanzimtoti and at Seed of Hope in Bhekulwandle. www.theseedofhope.org. It feels so good to be back and to see how far the Center has come. There is a settling and maturity to this work that was launched almost 8 years ago and it has weathered many storms. I am so grateful for all the efforts from everyone who have made decisions for the greater good that has kept this place going. It has come at a price for sure -- there has been quite a bit of challenge and opposition to those in leadership -- God has protected ultimately -- but the enemy sure loves to throw spears at those who are willing to stand in the face of darkness and see the Light of Gods' love break through!

This coming week Isaiah will be working with Simunya Time, the Childrens' program which meets everyday from 2:30-4:30. I know he is going to have fun with those kids -- they are such a blast and filled with energy!

Isaiah had a chance to tour through the township of Bhekulwandle and his eyes were really opened to the reality of how some people live here. He will be writing and post pics on his blog: wwwisaiahforbes.blogspot.com.

I will be preparing for the Telling Your Story Conference on Friday/Saturday and also working with Karen and a young Zulu woman named Zinchle who will be coming to the USA to share about the ministry. I will be coaching them on public speaking and also working with Carl (CEO) on the media presentation from Seed of Hope.

I love Africa -- I love the way life unfolds here -- it is complicated, unfair, beautiful, heart-wrenching, hilarious, peaceful and I sense God everywhere. I feel so grateful that I have the opportunity to be back here and to experience fellowship with people that I so admire who have given their lives to take care of the poor and underprivileged and those living with HIV/AIDS. It is a reminder to the highest calling that each of us has as Christians to feed, visit, care and quench the thirst of those in Jesus name.

Having moved to Post Falls, Idaho and purchased a house and set up a home base in the USA has been a blessing but also a real challenge. It is so easy to get caught up i the materialism that is in the United States -- for years I felt I kept it at bay and focused on the calling in front of me -- I feel like i have lost some ground - but I am grateful that a gentle reminder and a loving rebuke from the Lord about what is truly important has given me a renewed sense of purpose for when I return back to the states. My Home is Not My Home. It is a temporary dwelling place that gives rest to my physical body and allows me to have protection from the elements and to facilitate the relationships that are in my life and to hopefully serve others. My real home is in heaven -- and I need to know that the things that are material are temporal.

Where my treasure is, there will my heart be also, Jesus says -- Oh for a heart that would sell all just to have the kingdom treasure!

1 comment:

Andi and Sheba Eicher said...

This world is not my home, I'm only passing through...

Thanks for the lovely write up John - we feel that we are with you in Africa!

Blessings from all of us!