Saturday, January 31, 2009

COMMUNION


Today, I spoke at Calgary Baptist Church in downtown Visakhapatnam's, India. It was an 8:00 am service and after a long day yesterday at the Conference (I will write about after I get some pictures back) -- I was a bit tired. I was asked last night what I was going to speak on as they wanted the scripture to print in the bulletin -- frankly, I did not know what I was going to speak on -- so I said I would get back to them. As I prayed for direction -- Psalm 139:23-24 came to me and I looked it up -- "Search me Oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there be any wicked way in me and lead me in the way everlasting." A powerful prayer by David at the end of a long expression of his knowledge of God's love for Him and about Him. When I got to the church, I found out that it was communion Sunday -- and I thought to myself -- that is why I am to speak on this scripture because before entering to the Lord's table, both the speaker and the hearer must examine themselves. I spoke about Intimacy with God and all the things that get in the way of our relationship with him -- business, broken relationships, hurts, sin -- many things -- a personal call and reminder to let God search our hearts and also a time to be restored through the wonderful sacrament of communion. Such a simple act that Jesus gave us so many years ago -- and yet it remains.

When I took this photograph while seated on the side of the church after speaking -- I felt it captured a bit of the reverence I was feeling towards God as He reminded me of why I was coming to the table.

Peace
john

No comments: